YouTube Vs Blogging

I’ve sat down quite a few times in the past few months with the hopes of spitting up a blogpost but nothing has erupted. I think with me, writing is one of those things that I can only do when I’m in a certain headspace. It’s like I'll suddenly think "you know what, I feel like writing" and I'll have a blog post done in 30 mins, but recently I think I’ve just lacked the will power due to a variety of conversations surfacing around my head, surrounding writing. 

1.    Do people even care to read anymore?
2.    I enjoy the process of creating videos and editing much more.
3.    People would much rather click a video and watch something, rather than read and put effort into understanding my writing.
4.    Why do I even write?
5.    Is blogging worth it or should I just move on to YouTube as a new platform?

I feel like I’ve dedicate many hours into my blog and I do really enjoy writing, and as much as people can say "you should do what you enjoy", there is always going to be the factor of "I want people to see this and like it" in the back of my head. 
I do write for myself and am proud that I’ve created this space where I can express my abilities and interests, but if people can’t be bothered reading it because they’d much rather watch a person speak out their thoughts just cause it's easier to digest and less effortful to take in, is this even worth it? 

This also, links to the whole "journalism is a dying art" and as much as I hate to admit it, it is a dying art. People just can’t be fucked to read. 
I know that I’m really picky with what I read and that I’d much rather click on a YouTube video and enjoy hearing someone talk, whilst scrolling through Instagram. It's less time consuming and  it just requires a lot less effort and so I can’t expect others to click on my posts and read a page long rant. 

It is quite a conflicting mind set cause even though I am trying to branch out into YouTube, I know that there is a lot of competition in that area, regardless of how many viewer there are. There is also a much larger controversy surrounding doing YouTube and it requires much higher self-confidence and self-esteem to put yourself out there where people can see your face and hear your voice than it is to type and have people read what you write while you hide your exterior. 

I think at the end of the day it all boils down to where I see myself succeeding more. I believe that I can write quite well, and I don't care if that makes me sound a bit up myself because I have worked really hard on this site and the response has been great, and I believe that I perhaps have a better chance in succeeding as a writer than a YouTuber. But if I had a choice as to where I would want to succeed, I’d say YouTube. 

I think in this society, we respect the job of a YouTuber more than we do of a writer. There is something luxurious and extremely appealing about having YouTube as a job or being known through YouTube. The "wow factor" of YouTube is just much more appealing in my opinion than a 17-year-old behind a laptop writing away, especially to our generation. 

And so, to answer and comment on the points I made before- 
1.    Do people even care to read anymore?
Yes...perhaps not as much as they used to, but I can tell that my demographics are pretty decent and it's all I can hope for. 
2.    I enjoy the process of creating videos and editing much more
Well, there is no denying that, but it doesn't mean you have to give up something else to achieve or work on your other interest.  
3.    People would much rather click a video and watch something, rather than read and put effort into understanding my writing
True again, but those who appreciate writing will just respecting this work more + I get genuine response and feedback on my posts from those who actually like to read, rather than people clicking, increasing my view count, but just to write "sub4 sub". 
4.    Why do I even write?
Because you love to do this, Aastha!
5.    Is blogging worth it or should I just move on to YouTube as a new platform?
Yes, it's worth it because it makes you happy and you've gotten so many opportunities out of working on this blog! Also- Por quĂ© no ambos? 

Here are a few videos I've worked on in the past few months if you'd like to support me on my other interests! 



No comments:

Post a Comment